Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Shared Experiences Heal

There is a genuine solace in the shared experiences of others.
~Lee Woodruff


I was devastated this week by news that turned my stomach into a spaghetti bowl of sorrow. It was similar in impact to when I received news about my father dieing in a plane crash or when my ex-wife asked for a divorce – events that brought forth uncontrollable tears in my life.

Accompanying each event were feelings of my heart being ripped to shreds and there was nothing I could do about it, save for one experience. This weak I responded differently and saw a faster healing process engaged into my life. Oh, I’m not through it yet, but I can already see signs of healing taking shape.

It took me about 6 years to get past my dad’s unexpected death, especially since the fire required a closed casket and we couldn’t really say goodbye. The divorce took me several years to recover from as well, but this time I can already sense my healing won’t take multiple years. The difference, I confided in a close trusted friend.

Lee Woodruff was right about finding solace in the shared experiences of others. Not only did I have the opportunity to share my deepest feelings with someone who could keep it confidential, but he also shared equally with me his related experiences, giving me hope in my emotional recovery.

I’m confident that the reason Woodruff got it right was due to his philosophy being based on a Kingdom principle.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 5:16


The intimacy shared with another man can go very deep when both are committed to keeping confidences for the other. I could find no deeper bond than the one between David and Jonathan in the scriptures. They shared the deepest of heartfelt secrets and were both blessed. The blessings were sufficient enough to cause David to bless Jonathan’s household to the next generation.

Finding a trusted friend, who is willing to listen and then share his heart equally, will take time. The blessings you receive from the friendship will be life changing and last for decades to come. Be of good courage my friends and find another man who you can share your deepest thoughts with and not feel any sense of rejection.

No comments:

Post a Comment