Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Lost Key Adventure

At the end of my 4-mile run last night, I reached into my pocket and found a hole instead of my house keys. I calmly determined if any door or windows were left unlock and when my daughter would return home. Back tracking the steps of my run seemed like the most practical thing to do, so I set out on an adventure.

During my first few steps I asked God to help me find my keys. I knew that re-walking the 4 miles was a little ridiculous and wondered if God would be interested enough to guide me to success. Suddenly another thought popped into my mind: what if someone found my keys, would God take me to the place where I lost it, even though the person with their own free will might have picked up the keys and walked away?

The mental gymnastics I played in my mind helped me realize that the experience was going to be a spiritual one. It would determine if my faith was strong enough to trust that God was interested in the little insignificant details of my life.

I came to a crossroads a block from my house where the path I ran intersected itself. It was a point of decision. I wondered if God wanted me to go right or left. Could I hear the soft-spoken voice of the Spirit guide me or not? The left side was the logical choice and my emotions were in agreement, yet I felt drawn to the right and started walking the path.

After a few steps of not knowing for sure if I was following the Spirit, I thought it would be more prudent to turn around and take the left path, so I did. Second-guessing myself was amusing and it made me feel like a little indecisive kid. To bring an end to my foolishness, I decided to trust in God’s sovereignty and continued down the left path, only to return back to the same intersection.

It was time to explore the right path and I wondered if I would eventually find my keys. After all, tracing back over 4 miles to find a small set of keys that could have bounced anywhere was not practical, but deep down inside I knew that God was going to help me.

After another mile of walking, I saw a group of kids headed toward me and the one called out, “Are you missing any keys?” A smile came upon my face and I reached out to receive the keys. It was a miracle and I desired to bless the boy. Pride swelled up in his heart as I thanked him for being a responsible and honest person. I could tell it was the only praise he had received in a long time and he soaked it in with a big smile on his face.

As I headed home with keys in hand, I realized that if I had taken the right-hand path from the start, I may have found my keys before the boy arrived. He would have missed out on being a blessing to me and receiving back a blessing for himself.

It turns out that I had heard the gentle voice of the Spirit earlier and taking the longer route didn’t hinder God’s plan. He was still able to lead me to my keys and in His providence put me in front of a boy who needed a blessing.

I didn’t have to struggle with hearing or not hearing God’s voice, as He had already planned for the moment. I could rest comfortably knowing that God would work everything out in my life for His glory, my good and the good of others he wanted to bless.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

1 comment: