Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Moral or Politically Correct?

I was chatting with a woman who demanded that her boyfriend always use diplomacy and tact. She made him feel like he had no choice and every time he would respond out of his inner “beast” she would look at him with distain. There was no respect for him and she found it important to push him to become more like her girlfriends – after all, they “knew how to build relationships.”

My heart compelled me to respond and using my own example I pointed out that if we men are doing God’s will, we will always have enemies. She countered using Bill Hybels of Willow Creek as her example. She stated that he gets along with everyone and doesn’t have any enemies. Since I didn’t know if Bill kept the uncomfortable portion of his job under raps or if he truly was a friend to everyone, I decided not to further the discussion, but rather investigate if it was possible to be everyone’s friend including God’s.

It didn’t take me long before James 4:4 jumped out at me while reading.

“You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.” James 4:4

This verse was located in the portion of James’ text discussing how we as a church should not judge each other; instead help guide each other into holiness in our internal relationships. We are to go beyond superficialities or political correctness.

James was rebutting the political correctness of the time and challenged the believers to not worry about fitting in with society, but to focus on separating themselves unto God and His family. The believers were working so hard at getting along with society, that they lost track of their own morals and were judging other believers according to how they got along with others in society.

The chapter goes on to suggest that the believers needed to do self-examination and evaluate themselves according to God’s standards. And, if they found something amiss, he recommended they change their ways and correct their own paths. This was all capped off with a reminder that God’s grace would cover their lives as they walked in this humble approach.

James’ words brought healing to many, but it also set them a part from society, which led to several conflicts when they followed God’s standards over the political correctness of the day.

I couldn’t help but reflect back on King David and the numerous writings that extolled his greatness. Oh, I didn’t stagger at how majestic he was, but rather couldn’t help but notice the contrast in writings about him from the Philistine society and other non-believers. (This society was one he conquered and plundered.)

One writing suggested David was an “inconsequential bandit chieftain in the Judean hills.” Another stated he was no more than a Philistine hating mercenary for King Saul. I did not take time to research if there was any substance to these claims, as the mere presence of the claims suggested that David was not politically correct and had enemies.

Men are built to handle battle in many forms, including the facing down of a friend who is caught up in sin. While the Bible recommends we do it gently in hopes of saving our brother and restoring him to his rightful place in the kingdom, we are still to confront him. So, correct me if I’m wrong, but I can’t recall many people who appreciate confrontation and look forward to it, especially if it’s about their sinful behavior.

I suppose we can be politically correct and not confront our brother who is trapped in sin, but that wouldn’t be the loving thing to do. Instead, we need to separate our moral behaviors from the world’s sinful behaviors even if it causes us to be viewed as an enemy.

A few years ago I was on a business trip with a group of technology geeks in Canada. They voted to eat dinner in the local pub and I found myself the only one abstaining from the local lager. After several courses of drink, the food finally arrived and my taste buds seemed to be the only ones savoring every bite, as most men gulped down the meat with slugs of German ale.

Once everyone had their fill, they were off to the evening’s planned entertainment. I headed the opposite direction, returning to the hotel for a good nights sleep. One angry man shouted obscenities at me as he was stepping into the strip club. His words were that of an enemy, as he barked out that I was too good, too high and mighty to join them for manly pleasure.

I had done nothing to deserve the verbal abuse except to abstain from drink and a strip club. I have secular friends who do the same, but this man had been ridiculing me all week long because he saw me as a spiritual standard to which he fell short. It left him with a simple choice: to change his ways; or, to ridicule me so he could feel superior.

His poor choice didn’t bother me too much, but it did make me realize that by my having chosen a moral position to live by, I was setting myself against what was culturally accepted by our society and this man. My decision gave him the ability to view me as his enemy.

The following day the man apologized to me and told me he was going to return to the church. I marveled at how the Lord worked in his life, as I had never said one word to him about Christ or Christianity.

Are you ever viewed as an enemy based on your personal moral choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment